2.08.2009

NYCC 2009 is over. What a ride.

What a show. The con has come and gone and man, did it feel like it flew by. In years past I had the luxury of randomly wandering conventions, be it SDCC, Book Expo America or London Book Fair as a book club editor (i.e. - no booth), it was kind of like Kane in Kung-Fu. I'd walk around and get into adventures.

But as I learned last year while attending BEA in L.A. with Osprey and again this weekend helping out at the Titan Books booth... working a convention booth is a lot of work. And a lot of standing, incidentally. It's great to have a home base, a place for your bag of goodies and your coat, but working the booth, the boxes of books, the customers, etc. really wears you down.

Overall, the buzz I've been reading is the show was a success. Retailers reported in good sales which is uplifting to hear (because who can take the nightly news anymore, it's so depressing).


And today - Kid's Day - seemed full of little Spider-Mans and other assorted costumed mini-mates grabbing swag and books and just about whatever they could get their hands on.

I worked the early shift and when I left the Titan Booth, Dave Gibbons was about to start a signing of his Watching the Watchmen book. The line criss-crossed in front of the booth 3 times. I wanted to stay and help, but I was there at 9 a.m. man, my feeble feet needed a break.


I left the con with some great advance reading copies of books like Jackie Kessler and Caitlin Kittredge's new superhero novel, Black and White (which I can't wait to read and will review here!) as well as a few others which I'll write about as soon as I get into them.

My pal Peter V. Brett's signing went great (I've posted most of my con pictures on facebook) so here's a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY PEAT! His, The Warded Man, publishes in less than a month now - sweet!


I was happy and sad to help out for a bit on Saturday at the Comic Foundry booth (last issue out on February 18th...tears). But they've been great. I wish Tim and Laura the very best of luck with everything.

I wrapped up Sunday grabbing a few superhero gifts for the nieces and nephews... and okay, a few Revoltech toys for myself (come on, it is comic con). And in these hard times, if I can't share a little love with my friends with some comics, books, and toys - then what am I in this business for anyway?

Party on! And don't forget... the Watchmen are coming. 3.6.09


No comments:

DEAR CYBORGS by Eugene Lim, a little review

I had read a great little article on LitHub.com about this new novel from Eugene Lim and went to seek it out. Soon after I had acquired...