3.17.2009

A Balancing Act

I find myself escaping to my blog, my little controlled world of content; however little of it there is, however little I update regularly. Being an independent editor/writer/professional takes discipline, a discipline I learn a little more about every day. This is something I am not sure I'll ever have mastered. But I am making a go at it.

Right now, even as I write this, I'm working on two interesting but completely different projects. Both are due at the end of the month. And like a circus clown, I'm juggling them both, hoping neither hits the ground.


During the early parts of the day, I deal with lots of email correspondence, I check a bunch of blogs, websites, etc. I try to keep in touch with all of the people I've been working been working for, I pass along bits of news I read or hear, in the hopes of staying connected and leading to more work.

Remember, it is your responsibility as a freelancer to remind people that you're out there. They have day jobs, and are likely to forget -- and I don't blame them. They have meetings to attend and lots more email to respond to at the corporate level. At a home office there are distractions like Angel on TV at 9 A.M. -- I'm just saying. Like every good Jedi already knows... one must have balance in all things.

So, every day is a learning experience. I think I've found a good balance of working at home and hitting the pavement do do sales work or meet with friends and colleagues. I also find detailed work like editing comes easier at night, when there are less email and phone distractions. I guess every independent worker must find their own pace that works.

Here are the two things I'm currently working on. One is editing the content for the Book-of-the-Month Club's: 2010 Stephen King Library (R) Desk Calendar. This has been a lot of fun so far, writing essays and editing the work of others. King is a fun guy to write about. There is plenty of material -- he has so much work to reference.

I'm also editing a book on World War I aviation. Yes they are two very different projects. Then again, so is my experience working with fiction and nonfiction -- I welcome them equally. And when they are done, I'll move on to whatever comes next.

And here is to that prospect of future work coming in. Raise a glass. Happy St. Patrick's Day.

No comments:

DEAR CYBORGS by Eugene Lim, a little review

I had read a great little article on LitHub.com about this new novel from Eugene Lim and went to seek it out. Soon after I had acquired...